SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:34:50 +0100
Arturo Fatturi:
> Hi
> Whem I try do udpdate libmodplugin I receive this message from yumex:
>
> libmodplug.so.0Package: vlc-1.1.10-70.el6.i686 (@atrpms)
>     Requires: libmodplug.so.0
>     Removing: 1:libmodplug-0.8.7-2.el6.i686 (@atrpms)
>         libmodplug.so.0
>     Updated By: 1:libmodplug-0.8.8.3-2.el6.i686 (epel)
>         Not found
>     Available: libmodplug-0.8.7-1.el6.rf.i686 (rpmforge)
>         libmodplug.so.0Package:

I encountered this back in March when I initially did a SL6.0 install,
and again today when I had to sort out the dependancies again
more for a yum update to complete.

I contacted both atrpms and epel back in March.  Atrpms were
unhelpful, saying it was a conflict of libmodplug versions (which
I knew), while epel stated that, since they were using the latest
version of libmodplug, atprms should upgrade to the latest
version also and recompile their packages against it.

It reminded me of my days with Fedora 7, when multiple
repositories were required to get useful multimedia functionality.
Since then the Fedora repositories have combined their efforts
into the single rpmfusion; sadly there is not such a combined
/focused effort for EL.  (rpmfusion DOES have a EL6 tree, but only
in "testing" and with not that great a selection of packages.)

Since I only use two repositories, I used a work around that
used yum to update the one with the oldest version of the
libmodplug package (atrpms for me).  I then manually downloaded
all the (newer) RPMs from epel that conflicted, and forced rpm to
install them manually.

So with just atrpms and epel configured, I did:

# yum clean all
# yum update --disablerepo=epel
<manually download rpm files from epel>
# rpm -K *.rpm
(rpm -K checks the digital signatures on the RPM files)
# rpm --force --nodeps -ivh *.rpm

For you, since you are using three repositories, it might be
easier just to do it all with rpm:

1) download libmodplug from ALL THREE repositories
2) rpm -K *.rpm
3) rpm --force --nodeps *.rpm

All the information provided above is at your own risk -
there's a reason yum doesn't have --force and --nodeps
flags!  Yum DOES have --skip-broken, but that wasn't
able to get around the problem.

With best wishes,

   David.