SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:15:24 -0400
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Kenni Lund <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it expected behaviour that SL6.1 requires more than 1GB of RAM to
> install when using anaconda for the install? I've just had the
> installer crash on me twice due to low memory, when I had 1024MB
> dedicated to the VM. I didn't create any swap partition when I did the
> partition layout within the installer, so if Anaconda expects to use
> such swap partition for the install, that could explain the issue.

Perhaps not, but our favorite upstream vendor's default setups do
create a swap partition, by default. While RAM is not the same thing
as swap and I'm having good success now with VM's that have 1 Gig of
RAM, I use some swap space. ignoring thoste standards is something you
do at your own peril, both for installation and for operations.