SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:32:54 -0700
On 07/28/2011 06:32 AM, Brent L. Bates wrote:
>       One point of clarification.  CUPS was NOT developed by Apple, they bought
> it.  I used to talk to the guy who actually created it many YEARS ago as free
> software.  He then commercialized it some, then eventually sold it off.  I
> guess Apple owns the rights to it now.

My understanding is that you are correct, and that CUPS evolved from
earlier lp driver databases -- implementationally and somewhat
conceptually different from predecessors, but following a path that had
been forged.

As a further aside, I for one do not care who is funding an open systems
source-available project -- CUPS nominally is a .org , not a .com or
.biz .  It is obvious from the responses that Fermilab does not have the
dedicated staffing to provide such a capability for hard drive parameter
data -- does CERN?  Does any other more-or-less public entity anywhere
in the world?  Would a for-profit entity step up to the plate, as Apple
did with CUPS or Sun (now Oracle) did with OpenOffice (Sun bought
StarOffice that became OpenOffice)?

Yasha Karant