SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:32:10 -0500
On 07/27/2011 05:23 PM, Rich wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got questions about two different failure modes I experienced
> while trying to kickstart SL6.1 on some hardware to play with.
>
> First, when I kickstarted it on this hardware, it immediately
> hardlocked (display black, keyboard unresponsive with no lights on or
> blinking, no network activity), I believe while trying to bring up the
> network (I can't tell; it doesn't have network up prior to dying, so
> remote syslog isn't working, and then it's utterly responseless
> afterward). I booted it with noprobe, and it came up, but as soon as I
> tried to load the forcedeth module for its onboard NIC, /sbin/loader
> experienced SIGSEGV. This happens reproducibly.
>
> Second, when I tried installing 6.1 with the 6.0 vmlinuz/initrd.img
> (where the above problem didn't occur at all), if I try to install in
> text or graphical mode, it complains "Please add the following
> sections and try again" "Bootloader configuration", where I know I
> have bootloader specified correctly and not inside a pre/post/packages
> section (I use "bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda"; sans
> quotes, obviously) - this looked similar to RH bug #506428, so I
> figured I'd give cmdline mode a try.
> If I use "cmdline" install mode, I fail with "In interactive step
> timezone, can't continue" - which looks like RH bug 462595 or 672095.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> - Rich

Hi Rich,
I just want to narrow down some things.

For your kickstarts, you are using a pxeboot kickstart?
You aren't putting in a network install CD and typing kickstart=<blah> ?
OK, the real question is, how are you booting and starting your kickstart?

Are you able to kickstart, using the same kickstart, with SL 6.0?
(with the one obvious change that the kickstart is pointing to 6.1
versus 6.0)

Would you mind sending your kickstart file?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group