SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:23:26 -0400
Hi all,
I've got questions about two different failure modes I experienced
while trying to kickstart SL6.1 on some hardware to play with.

First, when I kickstarted it on this hardware, it immediately
hardlocked (display black, keyboard unresponsive with no lights on or
blinking, no network activity), I believe while trying to bring up the
network (I can't tell; it doesn't have network up prior to dying, so
remote syslog isn't working, and then it's utterly responseless
afterward). I booted it with noprobe, and it came up, but as soon as I
tried to load the forcedeth module for its onboard NIC, /sbin/loader
experienced SIGSEGV. This happens reproducibly.

Second, when I tried installing 6.1 with the 6.0 vmlinuz/initrd.img
(where the above problem didn't occur at all), if I try to install in
text or graphical mode, it complains "Please add the following
sections and try again" "Bootloader configuration", where I know I
have bootloader specified correctly and not inside a pre/post/packages
section (I use "bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda"; sans
quotes, obviously) - this looked similar to RH bug #506428, so I
figured I'd give cmdline mode a try.
If I use "cmdline" install mode, I fail with "In interactive step
timezone, can't continue" - which looks like RH bug 462595 or 672095.

Thoughts, anyone?

- Rich