SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:30:14 -0700
For reasons that are irrelevant to this discussion, we have ended up
with a number of new workstations with WD Advanced Format "green" 1.5
TByte drives.  We have been experiencing a number of difficulties that
had to do with partition boundaries, etc.  After a bit of digging, I found:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/td-p/6395

Is anyone using a WD Advanced Format drive with SL 6?  We are not and
probably will/can not use LVM, but rather standard ext 2, 3, or 4
partitions, included the extended partition model.

If you are using this type of drive, information on the specifics of the
formatting command(s) and syntax to use these WD drives would be
appreciated.  Any link to a detailed document or URL would be appreciated.

Yasha Karant