SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:48:32 -0500
On 07/21/2011 11:03 AM, Dormition Skete wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We already have a server using SL6.0.  I see that 6.1 is probably
> going to be coming out soon.  If we just keep our server updated,
> will it automatically "become" a 6.1 server, or do we need to
> download a new 6.1 DVD when it comes out, and go through the upgrade
> process to make the server 6.1?
>
> Any help with this will be appreciated.

Hi,
This is one place where Scientific Linux differs from RHEL.

The default setting for Scientific Linux is for you to "sit on a
release".  This means that you do not automatically update to the next
release, unless you want to.  So if you install SL 5.4, you will stay at
SL 5.4, getting security updates, until you manually update to whichever
release you want.

If you want the same functionality as RHEL (your machine is
automatically updated to the latest release) you need to install
yum-conf-sl6x.
   yum-conf-sl6x

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group