SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:34:43 -0700
On 07/25/2011 01:04 PM, John H. Outlan CPA wrote:
> Sent from T-Mobile G2, please excuse any typos
> On Jul 25, 2011 3:37 PM, "Lamar Owen"<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, July 25, 2011 03:17:12 PM John H. Outlan CPA wrote:
>>> Four words:  Beggars Can't Be Choosy. :)
>>
>> While I agree with the sentiment, I must point out that the quote is
> 'Beggars can't be choosers' which rhymes.... Sorry.
>>

> I'm from Hicktown in Possum Valley.  "Choosy" there but thanks for the
> correction!  Ha!

One small point to be made.  Unlike CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, and many
other Linux distributions with executables licensed for free, that use
primarily volunteer unpaid packagers/developers, some of whom are
professionals, SL is free to us, but does have actual costs to taxpayers
in both the USA (Fermilab) and the EU (CERN), and has paid professionals
doing the work, presumably as part of their professional
responsibilities.   The same may be said of the Princeton University
RHEL re-release, although the funding from public sources is somewhat
more indirect in that Princeton is not a public university per se.
Thus, the comment that RHEL is paid for and one gets one pays for, a
typically for-profit adage, is not completely true with respect to SL --
it does cost money and is paid for, although there is no support per se
available.  On the other hand, the information provided, including that
on the SL users list, is sufficient for the purposes here as far as
support is concerned.

Yasha Karant