SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:00:20 +0100
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 15:36 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> But I see this whole discussion as being of that sort of pickiness;
> the only thing you can be certain of is that whatever works best in
> your situation is what is going to work best in your situation.
> Whether that be SL, CentOS, or upstream EL really doesn't matter, as
> long as it works for you.  It's pretty obvious that SL is working well
> for Fermi and for CERN; it's equally obvious that CentOS is working
> for a segment of users;

It should, because they have spent a lot of resources on making it fit
their needs.

> and it is even more obvious that upstream EL is working very well
> indeed for many users due to the consistently positive numbers for
> RHAT's earnings in a down economy.

When it comes to big business, they prefer to know there is someone they
can blame when things go wrong and will buy whatever promises them that.
They get nervous when it comes to a self/community supported version
where you have to admit it is your fault things were screwed up.

Just like those who go with Oracle and RSA - any firm who won't give you
a quote upfront, but wants to see the size of your bank account and
quote accordingly, has to be dodgy.