SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:19:28 -0500
Hi Yasha,
Just a few short comments, answered inline.

On 07/23/2011 12:14 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> A vendor professional systems person whom I know has been requested to
> install SL 6 on a system that is being configured for us.  In a
> discussion with him, he gave me the opinion that his (vendor's)
> experience with SL is that it is "buggier" than CentOS, and CentOS often
> "fixes" RHEL bugs.
This is one of two myth's going around about CentOS.

The other myth is that CentOS is "100% Compatible" with RHEL.

I call these myth's because both of them cannot be correct.

Either CentOS fixes RedHat's bugs (which would break compatibility), or
CentOS is 100% Compatible.

I am not a developer for CentOS, so I cannot comment more.
> ...  Although the future is
> unclear for Fermilab with the imminent decommissioning of the Fermilab
> accelerator, this professional status currently is correct.

Fermilab is not going anywhere.
The Tevitron will be shut down at the end of September.  That will end
the current proton-antiproton collider run.  But there are plenty of
fixed target and neutrino experiments currently going on, and plenty of
experiments for the future.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group