SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:14:43 -0700
A vendor professional systems person whom I know has been requested to
install SL 6 on a system that is being configured for us.  In a
discussion with him, he gave me the opinion that his (vendor's)
experience with SL is that it is "buggier" than CentOS, and CentOS often
"fixes" RHEL bugs.  I did not understand this in that the base
distribution without extensions of both CentOS and SL is RHEL with only
the artwork being changed in the sense that all RedHat logos or use of
RedHat licensed-for-fee binary distribution repositories have been
removed, replaced by the appropriate entities for the distribution in
question.  Red Hat is required to release full source from which the
entire distribution can be built for personal use -- but not
redistributed without removal of the RedHat copyrighted logos, etc. --
under the GPL, Linux licenses, etc.

Nonetheless, he is of the opinion that CentOS does the best job of
testing the distribution in pre-CentOS release -- although both start
from the RHEL sources.  I commented that SL is professionally supported
by a joint Fermilab-CERN effort with paid professionals doing the work,
not the more or less volunteer organization of CentOS, just as the Red
Hat source is developed by paid professionals.  Although the future is
unclear for Fermilab with the imminent decommissioning of the Fermilab
accelerator, this professional status currently is correct.

I fully understand that individuals may disagree with the opinion, and
that specific organizations may have official statements that disagree
with the opinion -- I only am interested in the "facts".  For anyone on
this list who is familiar with the post-RH release handling and
qualification/testing procedures of RHEL source by either or both
organizations, or by the Princeton University distribution of RHEL,
direct comments would be appreciated.  Is there any factual data,
including procedural differences, to support the opinion that I have
been given?

Yasha Karant