SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:09:40 -0400
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 08:14 PM, Katherine Lim wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/15/2011 07:31 PM, William Scott wrote:

>>> Have a look in /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config
>>>
>> I should have said I am running SL6 x64.
>>
>> It is there.  But, running /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables throws an
>> error on ip_nat_ftp if I do not previously load ip_nat_ftp
>> with modprobe.
>>
>> What I am after is to load ip_nat_ftp at boot time with
>> modprobe.d.
>>
>> A tape and gum approach would be to load ip_nat_ftp
>> in /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables before it did anything with
>> /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config, but I really would like
>> to learn the right way to do it in modprobe.d.
>>
>> -T
>

> Did you get any errors after editing the IPTABLES_MODULES line in
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config to:
> IPTABLES_MODULES="ip_nat_ftp"
>
> On 07/15/2011 10:13 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
> >From a colleague working on our RHEL 6 deployment (similar to F14/F15):
>
> root # vi /etc/sysconfig/modules/ip_nat_ftp.modules
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /sbin/modprobe ip_nat_ftp
> root # chmod +x /etc/sysconfig/modules/ip_nat_ftp.modules
>
> Perhaps you should also start using the new name, nf_nat_ftp (although
> its alias, ip_nat_ftp, the previous name, still works).
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Okay.  I probably need to come clean on this.
>
> 1) ip_nat_ftp was not loaded at boot, but nf_nat_ftp was.
>
> 2) Tom's method of loading a module at boot time worked perfectly.
>
> 3) the error when running /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables on both
> ip & nf_nat_ftp not loading was my fault.  I forgot the quotes
> in  /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config:
>
> Bad:   IPTABLES_MODULES=ip_conntrack_netbios ns nf_nat_ftp
> Good: IPTABLES_MODULES="ip_conntrack_netbios ns nf_nat_ftp"
>
> When ..init.d/iptables ran its "include" on iptables-config, it
> saw nf_nat_ftp as a separate command and not a variable
> assignment.
>
> On the bright side, I did learn how to load a module at
> boot time.
>
> Thank you all for the help (and your patience),

You're welcome. I'm glad that loading nf_nat_ftp through
"/etc/sysconfig/iptables-config" is working for you. It's the "right"
way for loading it; "my" method was just a workaround.

It's interesting that ip_nat_ftp cannot be loaded through
"/etc/sysconfig/iptables-config" because it can be modprobe'd. I guess
that whatever mechanism's used to load a module alias isn't available
yet.