SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:25:59 -0400
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Todd And Margo Chester
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 10:41 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> Youve got named running in the chrooted environment in
>> /var/named/chroot. Yank out the bind-chroot package for now, restorie
>> it when you've had a chance to read and review the documentaiton.
>
> Hi Nico,
>
> When I had originally ported, I copied the computer directory tree
>
>    /var/named/chroot

This looks like part of your problem. When you "copied" it, did your
copying preserve ownership of all the files? Did you use tar, rsync,
scp, or what?

> over from the old computer.  I did not have bind-chroot installed,
> so of course, bind could not find anything.  Then I remembered
> chroot, so I yum'ed bind-chroot.

But you'd already copied over the material, and probably tried to
merge /etc/named contents on top of your already written material.
Chaos ensued.

> I got stuck on
>
>   /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z -t /var/named/chroot /etc/named.conf
>
> working from the command line, but not from
>
>   /etc/rc.d/init.d/named
>
> I do believe my next step will be what you and William suggested:
> start without bind-chroot and everything in its normal location.  Then
> upgrade to bind-chroot
>
> Thank you for the help.  I will let everyone know what happens.

Do take a look at what the bind-chroot package does. It's mostly a
bunch of '%post" scripts in the RPM installation.