SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:39:41 -0400
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Dormition Skete
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We already have a server using SL6.0.  I see that 6.1 is probably going to be coming out soon.  If we just keep our server updated, will it automatically "become" a 6.1 server, or do we need to download a new 6.1 DVD when it comes out, and go through the upgrade process to make the server 6.1?
>
> Any help with this will be appreciated.

Almost entirely, yes. There may be subtle distinctions, but this is
actually what the upstream vendor dues for supported systems: simply
keep the systems subscribed to the update channels, and the
configurations will be close enough for production work.

Discrepancies may include subtle format changes in configuration files
that were edited locally and did not get replaced, and old packages
such as kernels that were left in place and not removed with the
upgrade process, but our favorite upstream vendor works *amazingly
hard* to make sure those are correctly handled to preserve your local
configuratoins safely, not create compatibility problems or leave
debris behind.

It can get tricky, especially if the "fasttrack" or "optional"
packages were activated and later moved to "updates" from upstream,
but I'm overall very impressed with our favorite upstream vendor's
handling of this.