SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:55:56 -0700
On 07/21/2011 08:21 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, jonathan wrote:
>
>> Upon upgrading from flash-plugin-10.3.162.29-0.1.el6.rf (x86_64) to
>> flash-plugin-11.0.1.60.0.1.el6.rf (x86_64), when i switch to full screen
>> mode when playing a video on for example youtube Xorg freezes.
>>
>> When using flash plugin 10 the use of "OverrideGPUValidation=true" in
>> the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg file fixed the problem. Though it does not fix
>> the problem on flash-plugin 11.
>>

>> If the compiz window manager is used fullscreen playback works.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Sorry Jon,
>
> Let me clarify that this Flash update was very much needed, even though
> we go to another Beta. The problem is that the 64bit plugin (square
> alpha) had lots of security issues. Undoubtedly this release will have
> some too, but at least anything known is fixed in a more recent release.
>
> Here's hoping Adobe will take care of 64bit platforms soon with proper
> security updates...

I do not know if the IA-32 Linux version of this plugin is any better in
terms of security, but it does work.  For this reason, I run the IA-32
versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, both current (release 5), by
installing whatever libraries these applications need, relying upon the
polymorphic compliance for both the IA-32 and X86-64 model of the Linux
(RHEL 6) loader as well as the CPU.

Yasha Karant