SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
James M Pulver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M Pulver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:14:07 -0400
I've been using KVM on SL5 for a year or two now, and so far found the guest performance great, but everything else about it barely ready for primetime. From the recent XEN postings re SL6, I found out that it may be because my only interaction with KVM has been through libvert and virt-manager.

Is there a better way to do things? Some of the main things missing in SL5 KVM via virt-manager are the ability to get decent screen resolutions (seem to be limited to about 1280x1024) and anything like VMWare snapshots.

We'd set up a test SL6 KVM host, and the screen resolution of guests seemed fixed, but I'm still disappointed at how undeveloped the KVM interface is compared to EVERY OTHER VM software I've ever used.

Pointers, or even just how you use KVM would be greatly appreciated. I honestly don't see how RedHat thinks they're competing with Hyper-V or VMWare with the offerings I've seen.

--
James Pulver
Information Technology Area Supervisor