SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Bernhard Linseisen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bernhard Linseisen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:09:18 +0200
For an extensive answer you probably should ask the people at CERN IT
directly, but so far I can tell you:

Main differences:
- There are some other default settings for installation concerning
connectivity and authentication
- There are different images during the installation
- There is an additional repository (non-default) available for CERN-people
only due to copyright restrictions (some 20 packages or so)
- The distribution is (at the moment still being) tested/certified for
functioning with all official CERN software (data analysis, detector control,
etc...) and all CERN certified hardware.
- For CERN members there is a dedicated support for this distribution, which
is not available for outside people.
- There are some additional software packages that are used at CERN and
without too much use outside.

About the default RPMs I don't know.

If it is suitable outside depends what you mean by "suitable".
If "suitable" means "it runs" then I'd say yes. (At least it was like that
when I tried SLC5.
The question is more: Why would you need SLC6 instead of SL6?

Further information you might find at http://linuxsoft.cern.ch

Cheers,
Bernhard