SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:36:35 -0700
We are obtaining a new GPU cluster research compute engine, Nvidia CUDA
4 conforming.  Because of the way the funding agency evaluates
proposals, we effectively had to use an integrator who is well respected
in the community associated with the particular funding source.

Speaking with the professional staff at the integrator, it appears that
the consensus is that RHEL 6 is not really ready for production, and
that production engines are being kept on RHEL 5.6 (CentOS 5.6, SL 5.6).
  When I enquired about SUSE Enterprise current, I received similar
comments from the same source.  It was noted that RHEL 6 was withdrawn
for a while after production release.  Does anyone reading this list
have any observations on the production stability of RHEL 6?

This question is irrespective of new hardware support in RHEL 6 that may
not be operational (e.g., USB 3, nominally in RHEL 6.1).

Yasha Karant