SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:01:44 -0500
On 07/14/2011 11:36 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Les Fairall<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>
>> Are there any details posted as to how normal updates are handled?
>> Example, I was asked this morning what version of php
>> was in SL6.   It appears to be 5.3.2-6.   But then I noticed that RHEL6 is
>> running 5.3.3-3 which was put out on May 19 2011.
>>
>> I found this about security patches
>> http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/errata
>> but nothing on regular updates.
>>
>> I am not complaining, just trying to understand how regular bug fixes are
>> brought into the SL6 tree so that I can explain
>> to the users/developers that I deal with.
>
> php 5.3.3-3 is part of the EL-6.1 distribution. So it will be in
> SL-6.1 (currently beta2).
>
> Akemi

Hmm ... looking at the web page, I think I could add a little bit more,
mainly, what about those packages that aren't classified as security errata.

RedHat has four types of errata.  Security, Bug Fixes, Enhancements and
FasTrack.

Scientific Linux has two types of errata.  Security and Fastbugs.

Only RedHat's security updates go into SL's security repo, except for
two exeptions.
1 - Dependencies of security errata go into the security errata repo,
2 - A small list of packages that affect the whole system so should get
updated when released.  That list is currently tzdata, selinux-policy,
and hwdata.

SL's security errata repository is enabled by default.

SL's fastbug errata repository is not enabled by default.

Fastbugs also only go into the latest release, not older releases.  So
if 5.6 is the latest release and a fastbug comes out, only SL 5.6 will
get the fastbug, if you have it enabled.  SL 5.4 will not get it.
This is because fastbugs often have even more dependancies than security
errata.

Is this explanation helping or hurting?
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group