SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:57:12 -0700
On 07/12/2011 11:44 AM, Alexander Hunt wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 11:46 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>>> Now that this was mentioned, we have to update them to accommodate
>>> EL6 ... :-)
>> Indeed. And from what I've seen you write already, that's a pretty
>> sizeable update.
> There is also this post (linked below) in the forum, that makes building
> a newer kernel as easy as cutting and pasting the instructions into the
> terminal:
>
> http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=153
>
> I built (and am now running) 2.6.38.8-35.el6.x86_64 from F15 using this
> method, in about 75 minutes, on a Intel CoreDuo with 3 GB Ram. I have
> never attempted any kernel revisions or builds in the past.
> The method can also be used to rebuild any package from Fedora or EPEL
> into an el6 package. I also tried this as well as I needed to update the
> linux-firmware package. It's amazingly easy to follow, which reminds me
> I have to go there and give Thanks to the author.
> Regards to all

I do have a small difference of opinion with the instructions in the
mentioned thread.

The instructions have the switch --without debuginfo .  I prefer to
build both the regular and debug rpms.  This way, if the regular one
throws unexpected exceptions or other diagnostics, one may be able to
isolate or identify the issue.  In some cases, it is buggy beta code
from Fedora; in other cases, it can be due to structural
incompatibilities with some portion of a "stock" RHEL distribution (such
as SL 6).  One does not have to install the debug version and after a
successful use (test) period has elapsed, one can rebuild without debug
information.

Yasha Karant