SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:14:59 -0400
On Monday, July 11, 2011 07:29:06 PM you wrote:
> That would be great but there is a little problem there, I have no
> knowledge  on how to do that, and on other hand would I have to rebuild
> the kernel each time  a security update comes out? I have heard of
> people doing this, and I have heard a few problems form doing this to.

CentOS has a set of HOWTOS related to kernel rebuilding, and the process should work the same or similar for SL.  See:
1.) http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source
2.) http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
3.) http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules

These HOWTOS are maintained by Alan Bartlett and Akemi Yagi, who frequent this list too.