SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:15:44 +0200
Am 12.07.2011 16:58, schrieb Ken Teh:
> 1. What is your file layout for an NFS server that serves both i686 and
> x86_64
>    files?
>
> 2. Do you use automount and the $ARCH variable?
>
> 3. Do you serve a traditional Unix layout --- bin, lib, etc, usr, and so
> on?
>    With the help of the $ARCH variable?
>
> 4. Or, is it more like an opt layout where each package is under its own
> root?
>
> 5. Or, do you do both?  What does your layout look like?

What is the context of these questions? Do you mean "If you use NFS to
share all system directories with diskless clients ..."?

> 6. Is /srv meant to be the Linux equivalent of /exports on Sun systems?

/srv is often depicted as the /home directory for services (as long as
there are no historic or technical reasons to use other conventions such
as /var/www for httpd or /var/empty for sshd). Putting shares under /srv
or /srv/nfs is acceptable. I've also seen /usr/exports or /var/exports
on various systems.

> 7. Why is there a lib and lib64 directory in x86_64 systems but not in
> an i686
>    system?

An i686 system cannot use 64bit libraries. There is no point in
installing such libs there.

> 8. If there is lib64 why is there no bin64?

The idea of the distinction between lib64, lib and occasionally lib32 is
that it allows you to install the same library as 64bit and 32bit. By
doing this, you can run 32bit applications (linking against lib/* or
lib32/*) and 64bit applications (linking against lib64/*) side by side.

In contrast, there is usually no reason to install the same application
as 64bit and 32bit. Either there is a 64bit version, then you use that
one for obvious performance reasons or there isn't, then you fall back
to installing the 32bit version.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp