SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Lukas Press <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lukas Press <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:44:40 +0100
On 07/12/2011 12:29 AM, Brad wrote:
> That would be great but there is a little problem there, I have no
> knowledge  on how to do that, and on other hand would I have to
> rebuild the kernel each time  a security update comes out? I have
> heard of people doing this, and I have heard a few problems form doing
> this to.
>
> Now don't get me wrong I would love to learn how to do it, I just
> don't have any idea where to start or what tools I would need to do
> it. I have been using Linux for a few years but I have been more of a
> end user and just learning what I need at that time not really digging
> deep into it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> On 07/11/2011 05:31 PM, JR van Rensburg wrote:
>> You do have the freedom to do some customisation if you want to use the
>> distro, and I would presume rolling your own kernel is one of them.
>> If you don't want to roll your own kernel, you can always customise the
>> distro by using the fedora kernel only and SL/Centos for the rest of the
>> software.

It is surprisingly easy to build a kernel from SRPM, such as a Fedora
SRPM.  Check out the SL Forum howto section on how to build packages
from SRPM. - http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=128
I built a F15 kernel using these methods with no problem at all after 2
minutes' reading.

Chris