SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:31:03 +0100
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:20 -0400, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> Suggestion 1: publish a kernel based on the sources, with PAE
> disabled.
> Suggestion 2: Publish the kernel sources so "yum install
> full-kernel-source" will enable me to do the same.
> Suggesting I can do it all myself equates to saying I can grab my
> skate-board and the bumper and stay with the family.

This is the ideal solution for those with different hardware of
differing needs of what they want built in to the kernel.

> The world is more than i686/PAE/multi-core.
> RHEL's decision declares that they're uninterested in the low-power
> embedded market (where most computers are).
> I have 1 i686/PAE/MultiCore desktop gaming machine at home.
> I also have a microwave, refrigerator, freezer, 2 clocks, a boom-box,
> a router, a modem, a keyboard/synthesizer, and (soon) security
> devices, *all* of which are (or will soon be upgraded to)
> embedded-controlled devices. I see computer-controlled door knobs in
> hotels, cars, business offices, and expect (soon) to see them on
> houses.  90% or more computers are embedded, headless, smaller than
> i686, and non-PAE.

Unfortunately, SL/Centos are RHEL with the branding removed. I think if
you looked at their terms of reference, they both aim to provide the
same features and experience you would if you forked out the money for
RHEL. Given this, they are merely following RedHat's lead and aren't to
blame for what hardware is or isn't supported, as frustrating as it may
be.
You do have the freedom to do some customisation if you want to use the
distro, and I would presume rolling your own kernel is one of them.
If you don't want to roll your own kernel, you can always customise the
distro by using the fedora kernel only and SL/Centos for the rest of the
software.