SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:47:20 -0500
On 06/26/2011 04:42 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Shawn Thompson<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Akemi Yagi<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>>> The new artwork by Shawn Thompson is really nice. I have one [minor]
>>> request.  The current background image is in a widescreen format.
>>> Although it is common nowadays, it would be nice if the "traditional"
>>> 4:3 format is also made available.
>>>
>>> Akemi
>
>> Actually, its got ''practically every resolution imaginable'', through
>> some XML-based voodoo in the GNOME system it picks the correct size
>> for your monitor.
>
> Below is what I see in KDE under SL 6.1 Alpha2. I set the screen size
> to 1280x1024 (1.25ratio) for testing.
>
> This is what it looked like.  The 'nucleus' part is out of sight
> (actually both sides are cut off).
>
> http://linux.toracat.org/SL/misc/background/125desktop-noscale.jpg
>
> If I scale it to see the whole image:
>
> http://linux.toracat.org/SL/misc/background/125desktop-scaled.jpg
>
> it becomes elongated vertically.  If I scale it in the proportional
> mode, then I get blank space at the top and the bottom.
>
> With (most of) the images available from the menu, I did not see this
> behavior. So, the 'XML-based voodoo' seems to be working.  Any idea
> how to get it to work for the SL image?
>
> Akemi

Hi Akemi,
I've been looking into this this week.  Here's what I've found.

For KDE, the Default background that it grabs is
/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png

On RHEL, that file is 1920x1200.
We have followed RedHat's convention, and kept it at 1920x1200.

The real problem is that RHEL's background is designed so that it looks
ok when it is either squished, or chopped off.
The SL 6.0 background looked ok chopped off also (after all, it's just
black).
The new SL 6.1 background looks ok chopped off (in my opinion), but
doesn't look very good scaled to a different set of dimensions.

No real solution yet, but letting you know what I've found.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group