SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:50:31 -0500
Lamar Owen writes:
> On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 03:24:43 PM Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> > This is fine if I am the only manager of the computer.
> [snip]
> > It is best if one could use the tools recommended by, supplied by
> > and document by the vendor - I want to run "RHEL/SL Linux",
> > not "Konstantin's Linux".
> [snip]
>
> Wow.  You get it.  Majorly customized systems that are poorly
> documented are ticking timebombs; and you recognize that fact.  Bravo.
> I agree with your assessment 100%.

True only to the extent that someone with a RHEL6 cert and no other
linux experience would find it easier to drop in and work on the
system, which is certainly important.

But the ifcfg scripts hardly qualify as a "major customization" - that's
a fairly standard way of doing things across many distros, and in fact
the only way you could do it at all until the current release (the old
config gui was simply a clunky interface to these very text files).

And it's all changed again on F15 (so presumably also SL7 eventually).

> Thanks so much for all that legwork; this is good information, and
> thank you for taking the time to pass it on to the list!

I certainly agree with this though!

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/