SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 23:30:50 -0400
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Here I am reporting a compatibility problem between the newly introduced
> in SL6 NetworkManager and the traditional ypbind and automount programs.
>
> In the nutshell, after a reboot, automount does not "see" any mount points
> defined in the NIS auto.master map file.
>
> The boot sequence I am observing goes like this:
> 1) network manager runs, does it's stuff
> 2) ypbind starts, init script falsely reports successful start (ypwhich reports "not bound" but
> this is redirected into /dev/null)
> 3) automount starts (and only if one enables automount logging in /etc/sysconfig/autofs,
> would one see that it reports failure to access auto.master NIS map)
> 4) some time later, network manager finally starts the network interface
> 5) NIS ypbind becomes happy
> 6) but too late for automount, it does not know to reload auto.master
>
> There are other problems with the NetworkManager, so simplest solution
> is to "chkconfig NetworkManager off; service NetworkManager stop".

And rip it out by the roots. NetworkManager is a bad tool in any
production environment, even if it's useful for traveling laptops and
as an auto-detect tool at OS installation time.

Fortunately, you can re-install system-config-network manually. It is
available, even if it's not in your particular base installation
setup.