SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2011 14:42:54 -0700
On 2011/06/03 19:52, Sam Trenholme wrote:
> I have seen a recent thread about the clock drift issue in Scientific
> Linux 5 (SL5) and would like to share my thoughts.
>
> I have had issues with clock drift running SL5 in a Virtualbox
> environment (Windows host, SL5 guest) ever since I installed SL5.  I
> would madly reinstall the guest tools, change the kernel boot
> parameters, and the issue would go away.  For a while.
>
> But, inevitably, the time drift problem came back.  I did some more
> research and saw this bug report:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3135
>
> After trying all of the possible kernel boot parameters, with no luck
> improving things, I finally thre in the towel and set up a crontab to
> update the clock via NTP once a minute (which would be about two
> minutes of real time in the guest).
>
> This was not a real solution, so I ended up spending over eight hours
> upgrading my system to SL6 (I tried and failed to "upgrade", and had
> to do a fresh install of SL6 then transfer files over form the SL5
> system; I also discovered the hard way one needs to give a SL6 VM
> guest 512 megs of memory to do a graphical install, which I needed to
> install a working system).
>
> One Linux user has told me that the SL5 clock slew problem only
> happens when the host is a Windows host.
>
> Another thing: Yes, upstream is deprecating aspell, but if SL6 is
> going to have an aspell package, it makes sense to also give it
> packages for all of the dictionaries, even if they are unofficial
> add-ons.  If the intention is to upgrade to hunspell, "aspell" should
> be a symlink to hunspell (just as "ispell" is a symlink to aspell), so
> that "aspell -c" and "aspell -a" do the right thing.
>
> - Sam

Sam, I have an out of the box "Desktop" install for SL6 64 bit on a
Windows 7 64 bit VirtualBox. I decided to check this situation out.
I found that simply booting the "machine" was enough to get the timing
well off what it should be, moving off at a rapid rate. However, after
stopping ntpd, setting time with ntpdate, and restarting ntpd let it
settle down. I can see there is an apparent clock bias. The ntpd
feedback loop is stuck offset from ideal time by about 60 ms to 90ms.
I also note that is what the old Fedora 4 machine it connects to says
for itself, too. But that does not show up in as a time difference in
the SL machine when I check with ntpq.

This is the current "peers" report
      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
+name1.glorb.com 128.174.38.133   2 u   26   64  377   91.031   73.142  12.195
+208.52.173.46   130.207.244.240  2 u   12   64  377   77.893   69.564  16.652
-atlas.pagethrow 64.147.116.229   2 u    6   64  377   35.290   98.202  20.265
*192.168.37.10   132.239.1.6      2 u   13   64  377    0.351   59.526  11.604

The SL6 machine has been mostly idle during the test over the last
two days. But I've been using the Win 7 machine in a normal fashion
browsing, compiling, and watching YouTube videos. Note that I have
not paused the SL6 at any time. I suspect that would be "deadly". (I
figure a little script to perform the dance above would be sufficient
to get it back on track, though.)

I just reran the Win 7 machine's SNTP "once a day" check and it
jumped forwards 15 seconds. SL6, if anything, developed less spread
in the delays. They're all 60-67 ms now.

I'm going to keep experimenting with this to see if the "restart ntp"
trick is a viable work around.

{^_^}   Joanne