SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Beartooth Comcast <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beartooth Comcast <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:30:11 -0400
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Here is a rather "neutral" view on the "top post vs bottom post" subject.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

 	Andrew Marvell would call that a fine and public site (if, I
fear, just a tad tedious); but I have two suggestions, one helpful
and one more so.

 	Always lead out trump: if the listowner(s)/moderator(s) will
consent, the list could be ported to Gmane. Then all who wish
(particularly those of us without the time or the taste for
formalistic if not ritual disputations) can point our newsreaders to
news.gmane.org, thereby obviating all but what each chooses to
follow.

 	Pending that, since fnal.gov affords us the use of Listserv
itself, we can send the command "SET scientific-linux-users INDEX"
(without quotes, and *please* to <[log in to unmask]> and
not, repeat *not* to the list.

 	This is a woefully under-appreciated option, which afaik
only Listserv itself offers. (Oh, how I wish Mailman, or any list
software I could run would get it!)

 	The software sends you, not all the messages, but a list or
them, with the posters' names. You reply, with your normal reply
function (Again, to <[log in to unmask]>, *not* to the
list!), after editing the list down to just those posts you wish to
see. The server returns just those.

 	This saves even more aggravation than time. Prithee do not
ask how I know.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Double Retiree,
Linux Duffer, Curmudgeon On Line,