SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:24:08 -0700
On 06/30/2011 01:03 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Yasha Karant wrote:
>
>> As for top or bottom posts, I and many others with whom I have discussed this
>> point over a number of years prefer top posting so that one can immediately
>> get to the new information, ...
>
>    with all due respect, grow the f**k up.  top vs bottom posting has
> been a settled issue for *years*, and anyone who still thinks that
> their personal preferences have any value whatsoever needs to go back
> to AOL, and leave technical mailing lists to the grownups.
>
> rday

It is not duly respectful to anyone to use language such as you have in
posted, professional discourse, irrespective of the comments or opinion
of Samuel Langhorne Clemens.

I was discussing this very matter with a colleague but half an hour ago;
he/she serves as an editor on a well respected international academic
journal.  Her/his opinion is that top posting is the only appropriate
method.  Thus, there are differences of opinion.

May we all settle this once and for all if it is insisted that based on
one's response ordering, threading, etc., work will be put into the
dustbin (/dev/null, spam, trash, whatever)?  May the "owner/s" of this
list put forward official standards of etiquette as well as clarity
about the matter of threading, and the correct method(s) so that
threading will be respected?

Yasha Karant