SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JR van Rensburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:47:52 +0100
On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 19:13 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> > As for top or bottom posts, I and many others with whom I have
> discussed
> > this point over a number of years prefer top posting so that one can
> > immediately get to the new information, rather than going to the
> bottom of a
> > perhaps otherwise unintelligible set of exchanges.

Not if you are one of the older users who grew up in the era when
bandwidth was scarce (1200 bd modem) so you only quoted the parts that
you were commenting on.
I have to agree with Alan, it's unnecessary to quote the whole message
each time.
It starts becoming like the email replies that run into several pages
because the people replying can't either reply with a blank message or
with an inline comment, or when needed start a new email with a fresh
subject line when the topic has changed.
That is why most newsgroup clients use threading - so you can go back to
the older posts to get the history of the thread.