SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:47:17 -0700
Although I have access to true network printing resources, for the local
printer attached to my local workstation, I do *NOT* want to make my
printer accessible over the physical LAN to anyone.  I also do not in
general need the MS Win XP guest to print to our true network printing
resource that is limited to specialized work my ordinary black toner
laser printer cannot properly handle.  However, if I can use the
internal vboxnet0 "interface" and IP address for printing, this scheme
will work, and as well as Samba (presumably I can deactivate Samba in
this case as Virtualbox shared folders provide access to the file system
of the Linux host).

What specifics cover exporting the local printer, still accessible as as
local printer over a physical printer connection (presently, a USB
port), over the logical vboxnet0 interface?  Does the Virtualbox
"machine" then connect to the IP address of vboxnet0 displayed by the
Linux host command ifconfig -a ?  A URL with the specifics will suffice.