SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Zhang Huangbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zhang Huangbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:08:29 +0800
On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Zhang Huangbin
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Dear Scientific Linux users,
>>
>> Just want to let you know, there's a free and open source mail server
>> solution, iRedMail, works well on Scientific Linux 5.x, supports both
>> i386 and x86_64. Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
>
> And Postfix.
>
> And Sendmail.
>
> And Exim.
>
> And Qmail.
>
> And look,  it's available only as an installer which reaches out and
> downloads things from your website without actually mentioning what
> they are in advance. Wow, I could go on with the obvious issues from
> the website, but given that there's not even a GPG signature for the
> installation widget, this is actively unsafe.

Sorry about unclear description.

iRedMail is just shell scripts, it will install and configure mail server
related components automatically for you. That's why i call it a 'solution'
instead of a 'software'. Source code of iRedMail is available in Google
Code: http://code.google.com/p/iredmail/source/list

Used major components:

- Postfix (SMTP)
- Dovecot (POP3, IMAP, Managesieve)
- Apache (Web server)
- MySQL (Storing application data and/or mail accounts)
- OpenLDAP (Storing mail accounts)
- Amavisd + SpamAssassin + ClamAV (anti-spam, anti-virus)
- Roundcube (Webmail)
- Awstats (Apache and Postfix log analyzer)

Since RHEL doesn't provide all of them, iRedMail project has to provide
some of them. As we mentioned in README[1] file under yum repository
directory, most of them comes from third-party repositories, some were
packed by iRedMail project, SRPMS are avalable:

####
Most packages come from:

    - Dag Wieers: http://packages.sw.be/
    - EPEL: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/
    - ATrpms.net: http://atrpms.net/

Thank you all :)

Packages which contains 'ired' tag in package name are packed
by iRedMail project, you can find source RPM here:
http://iredmail.org/yum/srpms/
####

iRedMail will verify packages with command 'md5sum'[2] after downloaded
to make sure they're truly downloaded from iredmail.org.

[1] README: http://iredmail.org/yum/rpms/5/00README
[2] Verify packages with 'md5sum': it's defined in some files:
    o iRedMail-x.y.z/pkgs/get_all.sh
    o iRedMail-x.y.z/pkgs/MD5.*

----
Zhang Huangbin

iRedMail: Open Source Mail Server Solution for Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, FreeBSD: http://www.iredmail.org/