SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Natxo Asenjo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Natxo Asenjo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:49:06 +0200
hi,

This had been bugging me since I installed sl6, so a few weeks I sat
down and tested a few things. Hopefully it will help someone.

The problem: my corporate laptop (dell latitude e6500, which by the
way, works great with sl 6.0), took a while to cold boot. Pressing
escape to see the console messages showed that the cups daemon was
started, and after about 15 seconds, acpid would start and then the
rest of the daemons and I would be greeted by the logon screen.

This would not happen in case of a reboot, by the way. Hibernating,
although functional, takes longer than boot, so why bother :(

I modified /etc/init.d/cups, changing the chkconfig 2345 25 10 line
to chkconfig 2345 95 10. Then chkconfig cups off and chkconfig cups
on to recreate the symlinks, shutdown and start. So now cups starts
quite late in the boot sequence, but that does not matter at all as
long as it starts after syslog and local_fs. Printing works as usual
after this change.

I am very happy to say my laptop has been very fast to boot since
this little change. These are the little things that matter.

--
Groeten, natxo