SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:02:28 -0400
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM, William Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 27 June 2011 07:38, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> Ahhhh. I think I see the issue. CUPS chose, years ago, to use the old
>> port 631, formerly used by lpr, for their configuration interface.
>> After all, they seemed to reason, it's available for printing and no
>> one will use lpr anymore, right? Unfortunately, some people do, and I
>> suspect your printing command is feeding it to the CUPS configuration
>> interface. Not deliberately: the setting can be enabled and disabled.
>> Use "system-config-printer" to do this, if Fedora hasn't changed
>> things lately.
>>

> I'll have to check to see if I'm close to being correct but I thought..
>
> 515 - Lpr
> 631 - IPP
> 9100 - HP "jetdirect"
>
> Probably more out there.

Lord, I'm digging back here into the yestercentury of multi-OS
printing here.....

Wikipedia confirms your numbers, as does /etc/services.  I'm
misremembering the port 631 management as bing directly from LPR, as
opposed to the weird mutliple usages of the port 631 for IPP and
configuration of CUPS.

That still ties the "lpr" based printing to the cups based services in
this problem report, not to the old and unsupported "lpr" services.