SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:27:49 -0400
Hate to be a complainer, but stuff that has worked well for 20 years is now
broken again.   This is the second time in less than a year.

The script searches my data base and prints labels for parts in the inventory
is broken again.  It uses awk to search the data base and prints the labels
using lpr with a bunch of options.   In the last few weeks "lpr" has changed
and now pops up a GUI for a printer - prints a bunch of garbage to my screen
and Pops a GUI - it also pick up the printer margins and host of other crap
that I can't change from the GUI.   As a result the labels are off set by 1/2
inch and now run over the end of the page.
Looked on the internet and asked the question and there is no real answers - a
bunch of dumb replys.
On is a vector to the cups manual - no way to search it.   Can't spend a week
reading all of it.

I wish the people tinkering with the print stuff would quit working on stuff
that has worked a long time.   A new rule is that "first do no harm".  Its ok
to add new but don't clobber the stuff we depend on.

Does anyone have any idea of how to turn this stuff off or get back the
real "lpr" utility.

So far I have a lot of time invested in this - by the way this is Sunday
Afternoon.   That should tell you the urgency of the problem.  Monday we have
a lot of stuff to ship - even if I have spend all night hand printing the
labels.

Thank You
Larry Linder