SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:41:54 -0700
Dr Aitchison,

You are in the EU.  In the EU, Microsoft has been found to be a monopoly
and more than simple money damages (cost of doing business that merely
is passed onto customers with a profit margin markup).  As a result, in
the EU Microsoft Windows may not be licensed for fee ("sold") with only
MS Internet Explorer installed, but instead allowing the user/installer
to have a choice of end-user browser application.

Moreover, it is extremely unusual in my experience to find commercial
(let alone government or non-profit) URLs from the EU that recommend or
tacitly require MS Internet Explorer and will not display properly in
other browsers -- this MS only dependence is still too common in the USA.

However, in the USA, most desktop workstations either are under monopoly
software or Mac OS X, with the monopoly having a large segment.  Most MS
Win users in the USA have and use MS Inet Exp because the USA does not
force MS not to install MS Inet Exp by default, and are more or less
fully captive to the monopoly (not even using OpenOffice).

On my own machines, I have Firefox, its sibling Seamonkey, Konqueror,
and Opera.  Using Virtualbox running (currently) a MS Win XP Pro guest,
I have MS Internet Explorer more or less current, and under Linux, I use
Crossover (supported Wine) to run an obsolete MS Inet Exp (current,
latest MS software does not always work with Wine).  I keep these both
for reference and to access MS only sites.

It is reassuring to read that in the EU, the monopoly sanctions against
MS are working to some extent, with actual market penetration of
competitors.

Yasha Karant