SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:30:09 -0700
On 06/21/2011 09:35 AM, Connie Sieh wrote:
Thank you for the prompt response.

Presumably by "de-RPMing" (extracting the full contents) of a repo
specification RPM, one could modify the RPM, along with a new name, such
that the RPM would now point to a different repository (say, the
Princeton one), assuming that all of the files internal to the RPM are
ASCII text (e.g., XML, etc.) that can be edited with an ordinary text
editor, or that can be downloaded from the site one wishes to
repositorize (e.g., an authentication key file).

Assuming the above to be true, what RPM command creates the repo RPM --
that is, from a set of modified/new files that are the internals of a
repo RPM file, how does one recreate the repo RPM file?

Is there a hierarchical mechanism for repos, say forcing a SL system to
use the official SL repos first (and files therein) before using what
purport to be the nominal equivalent at a secondary sub-SL repo? That
is, if file/utility FOO.revrelN is available in a SL RPM and also in
another repo RPM, use the SL rpm rather than the secondary repo rpm?
If however, the new utility requires FOO.revrelN+k only available from
the secondary, use the new one, preferably with a warning (so that the
new RPM could be backed out if it is incompatible with the rest of the
system, or loaded into a specific path environment only for the new
application)?

My general experience is that RPMs for the same base release (e.g., el6
for SL 6) built by reputable professionals seem to work -- I have
installed kernel drivers this way when the driver would not build on my
system but did in fact work with the kernel I was using.

Yasha Karant