SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:42:41 -0700
On 11-06-20 8:55 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
> I installed SL6 (i386) tonight in a virtual machine for testing and I
> decided to run a yum update and was surprised that it failed because it
> was having trouble contacting the repos.  Below is a snippet of what I'm
> talking about.  What repos are valid and why am I seeing this?
>
> Total download size: 132 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.0/i386/updates/security/avahi-0.6.25-11.el6.i686.rpm:
> [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 56 - ""
> Trying other mirror.
[snippety]
> Kevin

PYCURL Error 56 is, if equivalent to libcurl:

CURLE_RECV_ERROR (56)
Failure with receiving network data.

So this means there is some sort of network problem.

I am able to resolve these myself, so perhaps the servers were
temporarily down. If not, perhaps there is an internet problem on your
end?  Try pinging those urls, if they're still down maybe you need to
refresh your dns cache. (if it's caching on your machine that is)...

Hope that helps!

-Chris