SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:37:35 -0700
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

>>> I know there are additional repositories that can be enabled which
>>> would provide Heartbeat and DRBD but I am confused as to why there is
>>> a difference in the base packages.

>> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/SRPMS/drbd/
>>
>> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/i386/drbd/
>>
>> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/x86_64/drbd/
>>
>> are all dated 2010 but suggest that someone was working on this.
>
> Yes--SL staff were working on this addition at the request of my group.
> Currently we are using the ones from atrpms under SL5 but we've asked
> them to add it to base SL for SL6.

Another way to build and maintain the drbd packages for SL is to go
for the kABI-tracking kmods just like it was done with openafs.  As
Phil posted, ELRepo's kmods should work for SL users (the EL6 version
is also available) and can be used as a base/guide when building ones
for SL.

The most apparent advantage of kmods is that they seamlessly survive
kernel updates, thus eliminating the need for the developers to
recompile as well as for users to reinstall upon each kernel update.

Akemi