SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:54:11 -0700
There is a long thread on this topic on:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33268

on page 2 (with a URL of:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33268&sid=d55ee7c6fce4a214961f00c766b90919&start=15

)

on Board index ‹ General ‹ VirtualBox on Linux Hosts with a specific
topic of VirtualBox guest USB inoperative on RHEL 5.5 64-bit host

Note that this problem did not happen on RHEL 5.5 32-bit host based upon
my direct experience (CentOS 5.5 and 5.6, but presumably as SL and
CentOS are faithful to RHEL, the issue would be common to all three
using X86-64 distributions).

The most salient explanation I quote here:

Re: VirtualBox guest USB inoperative on RHEL 5.5 64-bit host

Postby zzz » 7. Oct 2010, 00:03
This comment relates mostly to CENTOS/REDHAT distributions. As mentioned
in many previous posts the problem is usually with the permissions on
usbfs. Centos mounts the usbfs first thing during boot. Once
/proc/bus/ubs is mounted, its permissions cannot (so I have heard)
really be changed. Thus, changing fstab or several other suggestions do
not seem to work with this operating system. It turns out the the
original mount is in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. All you have to do is edit
this file and add the group and its permissions to the mount
instruction. Here is an example, of the changes where the group id is
devgid=501 which is the group id of vboxusers.

In /etc/rc.d, edit rc.sysinit
Replace the two lines

mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

and

modprobe usbcore >/dev/null 2>&1 && mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb
/proc/bus/usb

With

modprobe usbcore >/dev/null 2>&1 && mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb
/proc/bus/usb -o devgid=501,devmode=664

mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb -o devgid=501,devmode=664

Note that you can get the gid of vboxusers by doing "grep vboxusers
/etc/group". If it is not 501, then replace 501 with the correct gid.
Also, make sure that you are a member of the group: "gpasswd -a
youruserid vboxusers"

End quote.

I will try the above on Monday 20 June 2011 and report if it works.  If
so, may I strongly urge the SL6 documentation persons to please make a
note of this, and perhaps considering changing SL6 from RHEL6 in this
regard, documenting the change in the release notes?

Yasha Karant