SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:27:53 -0700
I physically will test the actual success of the procedure documented
below on Monday at my office.  However, using the network, I have
performed the operation you suggested (modprobe floppy) as root; here is
the output via script:

^[]0;ykarant@jb344:/home/ykarant^G[root@jb344 ykarant]# modprobe floppy
^[]0;ykarant@jb344:/home/ykarant^G[root@jb344 ykarant]# ls -la /dev/floppy
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 Jun 19 09:50 ^[[0m^[[01;36m/dev/floppy^[[0m ->
^[[40;33;01mfd0^[[0m
^[]0;ykarant@jb344:/home/ykarant^G[root@jb344 ykarant]# ls -la /dev/fd0
brw-rw----. 1 root floppy 2, 0 Jun 19 09:50 ^[[0m^[[40;33;01m/dev/fd0^[[0m
^[[m^[]0;ykarant@jb344:/home/ykarant^G[root@jb344 ykarant]# exit
exit

Script done on Sun 19 Jun 2011 09:51:49 AM PDT

The above may be unreadable (I used cat -v to convert the control
characters to printable characters).  However, after modprobe floppy,
/dev/floppy appears and this is a link to the actual device, /dev/fd0

I fully understand that the /dev entries are created at boot time if the
driver actually is present (generally, in kernel space, but there are
exceptions where a driver crosses between kernel and user space).  As it
is clear that the driver is present, why is the driver not autoloaded
during boot if the hardware is present?

In which file(s) in SL6 does one make the modification to force the
existence of /dev/fd0 at each boot?  As far as I can tell, SL6 is

The issue with /dev/fd/x is clear after reconsideration of the link to a
pts; however, this is in my opinion an example of a poor naming
convention (perhaps for historical reasons) to what appears to be
overloading in the OO sense.

(If you ask why I need a floppy and a zip drive, it is to read archival
media, some mine, mostly colleagues, without having to find the
appropriate USB or IEEE 1394 external interface device, manipulating
cables, and having a figurative octopus on my desk.  Most of our current
workstations have neither a floppy nor a zip drive.  The zip drive that
is an IDE device was detected and mapped by SL6 to a /dev/sd as former
RHEL release /dev/hd devices are now mapped to /dev/sd devices.)

Thanks,

Yasha Karant