SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Hervé Riboulot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:22:39 +0200
Le 19/06/2011 05:06, Yasha Karant a écrit :
> I am running VirtualBox current production release as a replacement
> for VMWare workstation.  Under 32 bit RHEL 5, all of the hardware
> worked, including USB on the identical workstation (hardware platform)
> as I now have.
>
> Using the same configuration (including changes to the groups file),
> but now installing VirtualBox current production release for RHEL 6
> X86-64, I cannot access the USB devices.  I can indirectly through
> shared folders from the MS Win guest to the linux host, but for
> certain uses, MS Win requires a direct mount, not a shared folder /
> network mount.
>
> Is anyone running SL6 X86-64 with VirtualBox and accessing the USB
> drive?  If so, have you also configured VirtualBox, a MS Win guest,
> and SAMBA on the same physical machine to allow the MS Win guest to
> print to the linux host printer(s)?
>
> Yasha Karant

Hello Yasha,

VirtualBox 4.0.8 is running out of the box on SL 6.1 X86-64, supporting
Oracle Solaris 11 Express. Extensions are installed.

USB is configured as follows:

* extensions are previously installed (support for USB 2.0 devices,
VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel cards)
* select the USB option and activate the USB 2 control (EHCI)

I haven't experienced the installation of a MS Wi guest.

Regards,

Hervé