SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:59:14 -0700
I have installed lshw.  lshw does seem to give an extensive listing, but
lshw-gui does not seem to give much.  As with lshw, does lshw-gui need
to be run by root?

Also, I have a real 1.44 Mbyte floppy drive installed that goes to the
floppy drive controller on the mother board (this particular MSI
motherboard has SATA, EIDE, and floppy controllers and connectors on the
motherboard).  It worked fine under RHEL 5 (CentOS 5.6) on this
motherboard.  Under RHEL 6 (SL 6), I find:

ls -la /dev/fd/*
ls: cannot access /dev/fd/255: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /dev/fd/3: No such file or directory
lrwx------. 1 ykarant ykarant 64 Jun 18 19:49 /dev/fd/0 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------. 1 ykarant ykarant 64 Jun 18 19:49 /dev/fd/1 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------. 1 ykarant ykarant 64 Jun 18 19:49 /dev/fd/2 -> /dev/pts/0s

but I cannot seem to access these via a mount, even as root, to access a
MS-DOS floppy.  Obviously, I am doing something wrong, but what?
Moreover, the mtools (that provides MS-DOS compatibility) used to access
the floppy drive as A: but now does nothing.  Presumably, once I
understand how to access the floppy drive, things will work.  Would a ln
-s /dev/floppy to /dev/fd/0 as well as a ln -s /dev/fd0 to /dev/fd/0 work?

Note that the output of lshw does not show the floppy drive, although
the hardware listing utility of RHEL 5 did show this. This is the same
hardware with no change to the motherboard BIOS -- the motherboard BIOS
utility does show the floppy.

I realize that this might have to be re-done upon the next upgrade (to
SL 6.1), but otherwise should work until /dev is overwritten.

Yasha Karant

On 06/18/2011 01:16 AM, Hervé Riboulot wrote:
> Hello,
>

> 1- Hardware browser: lshw and lsw-gui, from the rpmforge repository,
> provide a detailed view of the various components of the hardware.

[snip]