SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:10:59 -0700
I am very close to getting a fully functional (for my needs) SL 6 X86-64
workstation that supports both 64 bit and 32 bit applications.

Three things I have not been able to find:

1.  a way to list the detected hardware on the system via a GUI or even
as a long and often unreadable text file.  Supposedly, RHEL 6 has
hwbrowser to replace the application available on RHEL 5 and clones, but
I have not found this.  Any suggestions?

2.  The grub or whatever switch / configuration file so that the actual
boot process and starting processes list (including any failures) is
displayed to the console rather than simply some icon (spinning under
noveau, progress bar under regular xorg including the Nvidia proprietary
driver).

3.  how to make the proprietary Adobe Flash plugin work.  This worked
fine under 32 bit RHEL 5.   I have gotten 32 bit Thunderbird to work so
that I can use the goggle calendar connector for Lightning, 32 bit
Firefox 4 to work (so I can get updates from Mozilla rather than waiting
for a RPM to be ported from the Firefox source), etc., but the 32 bit
Flash plug-in still misplays on the screen.

Thanks,

Yasha Karant