SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:28:08 -0700
Because I now need full X86-64 functionality, although many binaries are
still 32 bit.  My workstation changed from a dual-core Intel (HP
professional unit) to a current 4 core AMD that we built as a kit
computer in a quality Antec gaming case.  We could not afford (no
budget, no budget justification) the cost of the equivalent HP.  I have
an external grant that supplies us with a new Nvidia Tesla GPU compute
engine (specifications available in private communication if you wish),
and I then got a grant from Nvidia that included a Tesla C2070 as a
development node in my own workstation (I use a different Nvidia card
for graphics, also CUDA capable).  However, to use the Tesla, I needed a
newer workstation.

I used all of my existing drives, including the CentOS 5 system disk,
and the machine booted cleanly.  But, this was an interim solution until
I switch to a full 64 bit implementation (our compute engine will be
using SL 6 X86-64 as a RHEL 6 clone), and now is the time to switch.  I
was thinking of switching to Centos 5 X86-64, but it seemed to me if I
go to all that trouble, I will use RHEL 6 (SL 6 as CentOS 6 is still not
available in production release).

As part of this grant, we got a number of stereoscopic 3D visualisation
workstations using the Nvidia system (and thus not suitable for
individuals with epilepsy) -- we installed SL 6 X86-64 along with 32 bit
compatibility libraries with no major problems.
(One minor problem I have not yet addressed:  using 32 bit Firefox 4
current and the current Flash plugin, Flash does not work properly.)

Regards,

Yasha Karant
Director
Institute for Applied Supercomputing
Professor
School of Computer Science and Engineering