SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:33:43 -0500
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 05/31/2011 05:12 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> Thanks very much indeed. I do some testing with FC15, now that it's out.
>>>

>> You guys are all welcome!  Thank you for noticing.  :-)
>>
>> Nico,
>>
>> FC15 changed their network adapter naming convention.  See:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>>
>> And, they substituted "nm-connection-editor" for "system-config-network".
>> My eth0 became p2p1.  "ifconfig -a" will show the new names.  (We will
>> probably see these changes in EL sometime soon.)
>>

> This is not likely. This would be a substantial change to the most
> basic configuration tools on the installation media and their default
> interfaces. I would not expect to see a feature like that in an RHEL
> release, and thus in SL, until after  all the kinks are worked out of
> it in Fedora, and RHEL 7 and thus SL 7 is released.

This is a feature in RHEL 6.1.  It is disabled by default except on
certain Dell models.
You can find this in the Hardware Support section of the release notes:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/6.1_Release_Notes/ar01s01.html

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer