SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:30:10 -0500
I currently have a working CentOS 5.6 system on my workstation.  Because
CentOS 6 is not yet released, despite the release of RHEL 6.1, I am
attempting to switch to SciLinux 6.  As both CentOS and SciLinux are RHEL
clones (and thus relatively hardened production professional distributions,
not enthusiast toys), they should be compatible. I am running CentOS in 32
bit mode, but I am installing SciLinux 6 as 64 bit mode (X86-64) on a quad
core X86-64 AMD workstation, with the intention of loading the full 32 bit
compatibility mode.  After manually configuring the network and the drive
layout from a bootable SciLinux 6 X86-64 DVD, the install fails.  The error
message indicates a probable bug in anaconda (the RH installer).  I have
attached the error output log to this email.  Any help greatly would be
appreciated as I need this workstation as both a general purpose machine and
as a test platform for code before loading it on our compute engines.
Yasha Karant [log in to unmask]