SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:53:10 +0200
On Jun 14, 2011, at 15:57, Steven Timm wrote:

> How are you booting the xen domU's, with pygrub, pvgrub, or
> with external kernel?
> Smells like either the mkinitrd failed to run at all, or
> ran in such a way that it didn't put some required xen block
> device into the ramdisk.
>
> For that matter--what hypervisor host are you using for the SL6 xen domU's--is it an SL6 guest on an SL5 hypervisor?

You're right, this matters. In my case (where the update worked), we're using an out-of-the-box SL setup: SL5.5/x86_64 Dom0 running the el5xen kernel/hypervisor, and SL6.0 VMs are ks-installed with virt-install. I think that makes it pygrub.

>  I thought SL6 didn't
> support being a xen host anymore.

No it doesn't, but running it as a DomU under SL5 works fine (although there seems to be some deterministic clock drift we don't observe with SL5 Vms - on the same host, three SL6 VMs consistently lost 5 minutes in about 70 days).

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-