SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:57:41 -0500
On 06/08/2011 06:49 PM, Aldo F. Saavedra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having the following problem with an invariant of SL56, the cern
> flavour. I thought perhaps that someone may have come across this
> with SL56
>
> Here in Sydney, we installed slc56 x86_64 on a Dell Power Edge R510 with
> 48Gb of RAM.
>
> The problem we have is that once the os is installed slc56 top, free and
> vmstat only reports 32Gb. All the yum updates were performed.
>
> To check we booted with the rescue mode, SLC 5.6 and all the commands
> report 48Gb .
>
> A further check we installed RHEL 5.6 x86_64 it reports 48Gb .
>
> Is there some tweak to the kernel that needs to be done? Or any cause to
> the problem. Any ideas are much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Aldo

Is this machine being a virtulization host?
I know that on SL5 for xen hosts (I haven't verified it for KVM hosts)
you only see the amount of memory that the host has left, not the total
amount of memory.
The best way I found to look at the full memory in this situation was to
do a "xm list" which lists all the xen client's memory, as well as the
hosts.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group